Arras Flying Services Memorial
After the First World War, Arras was chosen as the location for a memorial to all those flyers of the British Empire who died on the Western Front but whose final resting place is unknown. The location had a particular poignancy, since Arras had been the scene of some of the flying services' heaviest losses during 'Bloody April' in 1917.
The Flying Services Memorial is adjacent to the Arras Memorial, designed by Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens. It is an obelisk with a globe which forms a finial on the top. The four sides of the obelisk are inscribed with the names of the airmen killed on the Western Front and who have no known grave.
It was unveiled in July 1932 by Lord Hugh Trenchard, Marshal of the Royal Air Force, and a senior commander of British air forces throughout the war. In his speech, Lord Trenchard explained the significance of the positioning of the globe on the memorial.
"The globe placed on the obelisk has a significance bridging the years that have passed since November 1918. It stands exactly, with its North and South points, as our globe hung in space on the morning of Armistice Day 1918. On every anniversary of that morning it will recall the sacrifice that these kinsmen of ours made, winning infinite peace for themselves in the struggle to win peace for their country, and it will catch, however faintly, the warmth of the sun that shone down that day on the trenches of the Arras Front, when at last no longer on the airman's wings."