The CWGC Arras Memorial commemorates nearly 35,000 First World War servicemen of British, South African and New Zealand forces who died in the Arras sector during the First World War and have no known grave. It is located at CWGC Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery.

Nearby is the Citadelle d’Arras, designed by the French military architect Vauban and completed in 1672. A French hospital was based in the fortress during the First World War, and the French army buried servicemen just outside the walls in 1914 and 1915. The British Army took over the defence of Arras in spring 1916, and continued to use this location to bury those who died in nearby medical facilities.

Today, there are some 2,700 British servicemen commemorated in CWGC Faubourg d’Amiens Cemetery.  

In the 1920s the French graves were moved to Notre Dame de Lorette, and the cemetery was selected as the location for a memorial to those with no known grave.

By the end of the First World War, the Imperial (now Commonwealth) War Graves Commission estimated that of the ‘million dead’ of the British Empire, only half had identified graves. The rest were ‘missing’: their bodies had not been recovered; their graves had been unrecorded, lost or destroyed by battle; or their remains could not be identified and had been buried beneath a headstone bearing the inscription, ‘Known Unto God’. Across the world the Commission built and today maintains the memorials that bear their names.

Unveiled in 1932, the CWGC Arras Memorial was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, with sculpture by Sir William Reid Dick.