This is a new opportunity to volunteer alongside others while Poppies: Wave is on show at CWGC’s Naval Memorial at Plymouth from 23 August 2017 to 19 November 2017 to help visitors make the most of their visit to Plymouth.
Working with a great team in primarily an outdoor role, you'll welcome visitors to our site, and help to enhance the public's visit ensuring all visitors are welcomed even when we are busy and during a time when we are anticipating even greater visitor numbers. You will help them to find their way around, directing them to the sculpture. Plymouth is a truly unique place to volunteer. You will provide that all-important first impression to visitors and users. Above all else, you will make sure that every single person who visits the site has a memorable experience and will inspire visitors to come back and visit us time and time again.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Welcoming all visitors to CWGC Plymouth Naval Memorial and assisting with their enquiries in a positive and friendly manner, whatever the weather.
- Helping people get the most out of their visit to Plymouth by being able to promote all elements of the visitor experience.
- Enhancing the visitor experience and helping to create marvellous memories for our visitors.
- Instructing visitors in a clear, polite, and friendly manner.
- Assisting staff in the monitoring and controlling of visitor flow during peak times.
- Handing out of leaflets and information.
- Making sure all areas of the CWGC Plymouth Naval Memorial are clean and tidy, ensuring the site is welcoming and attractive to visitors.
- Promoting and supporting all elements of the visitor experience – Poppies: Wave, reflection space, public engagement programme.
- Being an Ambassador for the CWGC.
- Providing information on 14–18 NOW: WW1 Centenary Art commissions / Blood Swept lands and Seas of Red / Poppies: Wave at Plymouth/Specific FWW relevance at this site.
What's in it for you:
- This is a totally unique opportunity to be part of a very special event at Plymouth.
- The opportunity to develop your knowledge of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
- Experience of working with the general public, including families and young people.
- Other information (e.g. issues with access to site, activity requires own transport etc.): Sensible footwear and appropriate clothing is essential. We will provide you with CWGC-branded polo shirts for easy identification by visitors. We have waterproof jackets available to borrow on bad weather days.
Skills and experience required:
- Positive and outgoing personality, with a good sense of humour.
- Good level of written and spoken English.
- Well-presented, reliable and personable.
- Confident in customer-facing environment to ensure effective queue-management.
- Happy to work outdoors.
- Ability to work in a team and remain calm under pressure.
Support and training required:
- Full induction and training will be provided.
Volunteers must be aged 18 or over
Join the conversation #PoppiesTour
Wave and Weeping Window are from the installation ‘Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red’ – poppies and original concept created by artist Paul Cummins and installation designed by Tom Piper – by Paul Cummins Ceramics Limited in conjunction with Historic Royal Palaces, originally at HM Tower of London 2014.
Image credit: © Richard Lea-Hair and Historic Royal Palaces